Owl Post

Filed under News

Students and Staff React to Power 50 Changes

Olathe West adopted the new district-wide lunch system at the beginning of the school year. This lunch system allows students to socialize and study while eating, but Olathe West has already had to make some adjustments to the way it runs. 

The new schedule allows for a 50-minute break in the middle of the day to eat lunch, socialize, do homework, and meet with teachers. Olathe West calls this time Power 50.  

“[Power 50] Is meant to take away the pressures of student-athletes, people that are involved in activities and clubs so that they don’t have to go to those activities, go to those clubs, go to those sports and then have to go home and then do homework,” said Assistant Principal Josh Umphrey.  

As of Sept. 25, Power 50 has gone from allowing students to eat almost anywhere in the school, to more restricted locations. Students are now only able to socialize on the first floor or on the learning stairs. The second-floor blended-learning labs are reserved for quiet studying where students are allowed to eat, but there is no longer food allowed in the conference rooms. The third floor is a no-food area where students will be able to have peer tutoring or meet with a teacher. All classrooms throughout the school are off limits unless a student is invited in by a teacher.  

However, contrary to popular belief, the recent changes were not because of disrespectful behavior. Many worried that certain acts of vandalism caused the changes to Power 50, however, Umphrey explained that it was to refocus the time on academics.  

“The original intent of Power 50 was always to be like an academic hour, so I don’t know if any specific event caused it to change, we wanted to make it more like an academic study environment… so that’s kind of why we thought these changes were necessary,” said Umphrey. 

While it was not meant to be a punishment, some students do not see it that way.  

I believe it is a punishment for those who didn’t do the right thing”

— sophomore Dylan Vickers

Vickers sees the recent changes as a way to keep students from further damaging the school but he is also concerned.  

“… the more restrictions that are put on us the more it will make us lash out,” said Vickers. 

Students have reacted to the Power 50 improvements in many different ways. While some see it as a punishment, others, like junior Dee Bagby, see it as a potentially very good thing.  

“Since… we now have a quiet place without food and stuff on the third floor,” said Bagby. “I think we can be more productive.”   

The new changes have reshaped how students feel about and spend Power 50. Changes were made to meet the original intention of a free academic period.  

“This is how it was…originally intended and we just had to have some time to roll it out correctly” said Umphrey. 

1 Comment

One Response to “Students and Staff React to Power 50 Changes”

1. Anonymous on February 28th, 2018 4:43 pm

I went to west today and it was the best day of my life the school was huge and it was beautiful but it is very confusing. I haven’t started going to west yet because I am an 8th grader this year. I go to mission trail middle school. I went on the tour today and it is really confusing. But, my opinion on the power 50 lunches is that you guys gave it to the students in the first place and I feel that if one of the kids want to be alone I think it should be okay to go upstairs and eating by themselves. You guys say that the only place they can eat is on the learning stairs and in the commons but honestly, if you expect the kids to not eat so that they can do your work! That’s ridiculous! That’s like murder! I think it is stupid that you have to do work during the time that you should be eating and getting that power put inside of you so you can function the right way throughout the day of school. The students can’t focus without school. I do track and I play softball and I still prefer to do my homework at home, and not waste my time to eat to do that work! But that’s my opinion bye!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Students and Staff React to Power 50 Changes

News

Students Walk Out to Honor Parkland Victims

News

TSA Members Find Success at State Competition

News

How To Save A Life

News

Students and Staff React to Net Neutrality Vote

News

Dr. Vadapally’s OWL Chemistry Night

News

A Night to Remember

Features

Justin Miller – Junior

Features

Christina Schick – Junior

Features

Victoria Lokaphone – Sophomore

Features

PJ Floersch – Freshmen

The Student News Site of Olathe West High School