The Student News Site of Olathe West High School
  • Parts
    • Sydney Jacober
    • Anna Krumm
    • Tijen Jones

Woman Leadership in Olathe West

April 23, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Woman Leadership in Olathe West

As they say, boys come from Mars, girls come from Venus, but the question still remains on how they work together on Earth. At West, the battle of the genders is just as prevalent as anywhere else. But in terms of participation and giving back to the school, girls seem to be winning.

The stereotype usually goes that girls take the stage in performing arts and community outreach programs. Boys seem more prevalent in STEM and leadership organizations. This can lead to effects even later in life. For example, according to the National Association for Women and Technology (https://www.ncwit.org/) states that only 26% of all workers in the computing workforce were women.

However, in West, there is a very different status quo.

The only club that was significantly male-led (over two guys for than girls) was DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America), a club that deals with young entrepreneurs, finance, management, and marketing.

Every other organization contacted was primarily female or neutral.

Neutral grounds were Newspaper and Sophomore committee, both only having a one to two person gender difference. There were, however, nine activities female-driven. Meaning that three out of four clubs were in that category.

Those female activities were yearbook, Freshman Committee, Link Crew, StuCo, Scholar’s Bowl, FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America), NHS (National Honors Society), Debate, and Forensics. Each has very special leaders representing the modern advance of women, and some are involved in multiple of these activities.

For example, senior Sydney Jacober is involved in a multitude of things, including a high-level science class, chamber orchestra, or NHS. She holds her academics close and because of that, as she graduates this year she’ll be leaving many accomplishments and firsts behind.

Sydney Jacober

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sydney Jacober

For example, senior Sydney Jacober iis involved in a multitude of things, including a high-level science class, chamber orchestra, or NHS. She holds her academics close and because of that, as she graduates this year she’ll be leaving many accomplishments and firsts behind.

Anna Krumm

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anna Krumm

There’s also senior Anna Krumm, whose primary involvement is StuCo. The club is already mostly girls, having 17 compared to the boy’s eight, but Krumm was the president for this school year. Since this was the first StuCo administration, she was the first ever president of Olathe West, leading the way for many to come.

Tijen Jones

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tijen Jones

Lastly, senior Tijen Jones who is spread across the board with activities, hitting NHS, debate, forensics, chamber orchestra, varsity tennis, the 270 literary magazines, and the writing center. All are very important to her, but Jones is very proud of her work in debate, forensics, and tennis.

The women of Olathe West are taking hold of their ambitions, and it shows. Though it is only the second year of being open and the population is low, the representation is not. With so many talented leaders, there’s no reason to not get out there and add a few firsts.