Misuse of School Elevators: How It Impacts Those Who Need It

Sophomore Aubrey May waits for the elevator to take her to lunch

Addison Smith, Writer

Sign hanging up in the Senior office.

Schools with more than one floor tend to have elevators for those who need transport to classes. They are typically used for those with crutches, wheelchairs, or students with injuries or disabilities. However, there has been unfair usage of the elevators by students at West who don’t really need it, causing issues to the students who do, such as sophomore Aubrey May.

Since May has Congenital Muscular Dystrophy, she has to use a wheelchair and take the elevator when switching floors for classes and lunch. The students who need the elevator can take it multiple times a day when switching floors, and many try to get to class on time.

Any student passing the elevator in the hallways or going up the stairs may see students waiting to take the elevator. However, do they really need it or are they taking advantage of it?

In some circumstances, it can be difficult to tell, but usually, you can tell the difference between those who need it and those who don’t. 

Generally, those who are misusing the elevator may be acting immature or piling into the elevator with friends.

“Lunch is like the most popular time people use it,” May said.

One of the days at lunch, May counted the students taking the elevator who didn’t need it.

“We counted like ten people in ten minutes” May said.

Several students around the school have noticed the issues frequently when passing and at lunch, and student Bryce Mallory has seen the unfair use and frustrating behavior daily when going with May to and from lunch.                    

This is a topic that should be discussed and reviewed in our school, to help further prevent the events happening. 

“Put yourself in the place of someone who needs that elevator, and think about how frustrating that would be waiting for something that you need, and seeing someone who doesn’t need it come out of that elevator while you are waiting there.” 

“It is kinda disrespectful,” May said. “I don’t really have a choice to use the elevator, I have to go on it, so when I see someone choosing to be lazy it’s kind of like they are taking advantage of my time and wasting my time. I have to get to class too.”

Many of our athletes and fellow students need access to these elevators, and those using them that don’t need them can be making those who do feel unimportant.

“Put yourself in the place of someone who needs that elevator,” May said. “And think about how frustrating that would be waiting for something that you need, and seeing someone who doesn’t need it come out of that elevator while you are waiting there.” 

We need to band together as a school to help those who need these services access them better, and support them so they don’t feel like some don’t realize their needs and respect them. Olathe West is known to be a respectful school where peers are accommodating to their fellow students, not one where they validate their own desires before others’ needs.