The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Madison Grant

Emily Yan (Senior)

When you think of hard work and determination Emily Yan should come to your mind. She is president of the student council, plays the cello in a chamber orchestra, is a member of the scholar’s bowl, takes AP classes, is a member of the National Honors Society, scored a perfect 36 on her ACT, and is a finalist for the national merit scholarship. 

Yan never takes shortcuts and works very hard to achieve her goals while being kind to everyone in her path. She is very grateful for the opportunities she has been provided and wants to make the most of her high school years.

“I just feel like right now I’m at the stage of my life where I have the opportunity to go out and try different things and I feel like I should take advantage of that,” Yan said. “I feel like if I miss this period in my life I will not have the same opportunities.”

In the future Yan is planning on attending Vanderbilt University with a major in economics and a minor in business. 

“I think economics is really interesting because it is underlying how everything works and it’s not just the economy,” Yan said. “There are concepts in economics that you can apply to everyday human decision making and I find that really interesting.”

Owl Post • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Owl Post Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *