World Cup Bracket Made by Students From West

Bryce Mallory and Annie Self

With the globally recognized World Cup matches underway, brackets with a variety of different predicted tournament outcomes have been made and posted by the AP Spanish and Heritage Speakers class. 

The FIFA World Cup is a soccer tournament played once every four years including teams from different countries all over the globe playing for the championship title. European teams have the best records, winning the cup the most out of all the different places in the world. 

The U.S. made it as far as the quarter-finals, losing 3-1 to the Netherlands, knocking them out of the race for the cup. 

With soccer being such a culturally important sport for Spanish-speaking countries, the advanced Spanish classes have been discussing the World Cup and have shared their individual predictions and even update the bracket throughout the tournament on the whiteboards outside of the makerspaces on the second floor.

Senior Mary Kueter is a student in AP Spanish and contributed to making the bracket with classmates. 

“We made it giant and kind of with conjunction with the heritage speakers,” Kueter said. “We spent two class periods down over there tapping and making the papers so that we can update it and make the bracket as it goes on.”

The World Cup is evolving and changing all the time. Games are played every few days, and millions of people tune it to watch their team hopefully win their match. 

“I think Brazil is going to win just because they are in the first seed and they have been doing pretty good so far,” senior AP Spanish student Gabrielle Huntoon said. “I think they will continue doing good and win.”

Because the World Cup is such a historic event, happening rarely, the AP Spanish students have incorporated it into their final for the fall semester. 

“Our final actually looks like us somehow discussing or researching controversies surrounding Qatar and the World Cup,” Kueter said. “We actually just had an assignment with the seven weird things that happened and how they had to spend so much money to make it, they had like 6,000 people die and the homophobia issues, so it was like the human rights violations and the homophobia.”

In 2026, Fifa will host the World Cup tournament in the U.S., including hosting matches in Kansas City.