The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Tech Students Set to Advance to Nationals
CBR Students Take Second Place at Job Olympics
Swimming to Success

Swimming to Success

April 22, 2024

Senior swimmer Lydia Fink has had numerous accomplishments...

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Students Prepare for Finals with Cocoa and Cram

Gracelyn Leitch
Senior Toria Yanez, preparing for finals at Cocoa and Cram on Thursday, December 7.

On Thursday, Dec. 7, the Olathe West National Honor Society and KAY Club kicked off finals with a “Cocoa and Cram” study session. This ongoing event will be held during every Academic Intervention leading up to finals. Cocoa and Cram is an opportunity for students to get together to get help on assignments and their finals while enjoying hot chocolate and cookies.

Students are able to sign up for a specific subject they would like to get help from other students in, or if they student doesn’t think they will need help from a peer or are going to be able to work with a partner they can sign up for a miscellaneous category. 

Junior Jameson Mangold went to the Cocoa and Cram on Dec. 7 to work on AP US History extra credit work and math work to prepare for her finals. 

Mangold explained that when students arrived, they were able to sit wherever they wanted. Then, all of the students went through a line and got hot chocolate and cookies.

“We sat down and got to work and then if any of us needed help we could just raise our hand and they would have their helpers come and guide us through how to do each thing that we were struggling with,” Mangold said.

Mangold said that she thinks it was helpful to her to attend because she was able to collaborate with others and get help from NHS students that had more knowledge of the subjects she wanted to work on.

“I really think it was very beneficial and they have some really great helpers in there that are very smart and very influential,” Mangold said.

She shared that it was a fun way to study for finals while also being beneficial to her.

“You got to get some homework done but got to be with friends or other people and got to get some hot chocolate,” Mangold said. 

Mangold said that she would definitely do it again in the future if she needed help and would also recommend it to other students that may need some help with their work.