The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

The Significance of Sports Rivalries

Logan Kraft
Sports rivalries bring lots of energy as well as emotion especially against our next basketball game against Olathe North West.

The rivalry basketball game against Olathe Northwest on Friday, Jan. 12 begs the question, how important are rivalries when creating competition?

Olathe Northwest is said by most of our student population, including sports players, to be one of the most important games due to the massive rivalry between our schools.

Often, rivalries are known for being an environment to play a little rougher. Senior Cole Melvin agrees with this statement, especially on the football field.

“You’re battling it out, doing everything you can to win, beat them down, try to make them quit at the end of the game, but after that your friends and you’re talking with them after the game and all that,” Melvin said.

Even though rivalries can sometimes bring hostility, especially during a game, varsity volleyball player sophomore Neely Leathers thinks differently.

“I don’t think there’s any bad juju with all the other [schools],” Leathers said. “Like with Northwest, I know some girls that play volleyball there and I think they’re all nice.”

Even though the topic of whether rivalries bring bad behavior may be controversial, one thing is generally agreed upon: rivalries are noteworthy due to their ability to bring higher levels of energy and competition.

This higher level of energy doesn’t just come from the observers of the game, but most importantly the players, which varsity basketball player junior Sherron Woodberry can agree.

“I think overall, it brings great energy and I think the atmosphere is gonna be crazy,” Woodberry said. “The emotions, trying to stay level [headed] and stay ready.”

Going along with the intense emotions of the game, oftentimes going against big rivalries can be nerve-racking for players, including varsity basketball player sophomore Jessica Borders.

“Sometimes I get a little nervous before the big game, but it’s really fun once the tip ball goes up,” Borders said. “It motivates me and my teammates.”