Debate goes to Wichita East

The second tournament of this year’s season at Lawrence Free State High School.

Diamonique Naert-Jimenez, Writer

Debate’s Novice team has a 4-1 record so far, and are hoping to continue their successful season. All advanced and novice students who signed up, headed out to Wichita East this weekend for their first overnight tournament. Dylan Hall got two medals and Ryan Seiter got one. 

Teams have been preparing for tournaments by attending debate work nights every Wednesday and Thursday night. Tournaments are held usually on Saturdays and sometimes on weekdays.  

Senior Vanessa Otto at her first-ever debate tournament this season with her partner junior Trevor Johnson.

Last year’s debate season was online through Zoom due to COVID-19. This year, it’s back to in person tournaments and according to junior Derek Foster, who’s been in debate since he was a freshman, it was a big change.

“If you were to compare a debate round in person to a debate round through Zoom, it’s so much different that it wasn’t the same, even though it was still debate,” Foster said.  

On work nights students use the flowing method, a technique used to keep track of what arguments are made and what background information is used so they can use it to respond. According to senior Vanessa Otto, an advanced debate member, flowing is useful and an important aspect in debate.

“Flowing is highly essential because it’s the decision maker of if you lose or win the round,” Otto said. “The other team is trying to hammer out so much information in such little time, it gets difficult to keep in mind what they are proposing, as well as what we want to present because we still need to respond to their argument.” 

According to The Edvocate, it is known that debate can benefit students in certain ways such as critical thinking skills, it also helps prepare students for their future jobs if they require certain skills similar to

This picture was taken at the first tournament of this season at Olathe North High School.

ones used in debate. 

“Personally I want to become a lawyer, so I kind of have a passion for that type of setting, when I do [debate], I like it a lot,” Otto said. 

Debate is run by teacher and coach Dr. Josh Anderson. Many students mention how much they enjoy having him as their mentor for debate.

“I’d say he’s a great guy in general,” Foster said. “He’s really leading his students to victory and helps make the environment feel more comfortable. He knows a lot about debate and he’s been very helpful with getting us to learn more information.” 

Debate students before they take off on the road to Wichita East.

According to debate students, it is a fun environment to be around and is always open for more members in any grade. Contact information to Dr. Anderson is on the Olathe West website. 

“If people enjoy having conversations with other students about certain topics and like to prove their point or arguing in general, and they’re considering joining, they should definitely try it,” Foster said.