Olathe Public Schools Votes to Lift Mask Mandate for High School Students

As of Nov. 29, masks will be optional for all high school level students in Olathe.

Emily Harter, Writer

On Thursday, Olathe Public Schools announced they will lift the mask mandate in all Olathe high schools starting Nov. 29 after a decision made by the Olathe school board at their monthly meeting. 

“The change in masking was made due to a decrease in student cases within the district,” Olathe superintendent Dr. Brent Yeager said in an email to parents and staff.

In addition, the board also announced that students who are exposed to COVID-19 and are not showing symptoms will be allowed to still attend school in person which they have dubbed, “The Test to Stay program,” which will include new protocols. 

“To be a part of the Test to Stay program, parents must make a daily appointment for their child to go to the district testing location,” Yeager said. 

The district stated in their email that these new protocols will only stay in place if the COVID cases in the school are below 7% and as long as the Johnson County mask mandate stays the same. 

“We appreciate your support as we work through these mitigation changes,” Yeager said.