Boys Varisty Soccer Moves Closer to State Finals

Varsity soccer beats Shawnee Mission West 1-0 , winning the Regional Championship.

Diamonique Naert-Jimenez, Writer

The boys varsity soccer team won the state quarter final game against Shawnee Mission West. Final score was 1-0, the first goal being scored by senior Elyes Ellouz in the first 2 minutes of the game. They move onto the semi-final game against Wichita-North High School Friday Nov. 4. At CBAC. 

“I felt really happy at that moment because it [goal] was scored a couple minutes into the game so it gave our team a boost of confidence,” Ellouz said. “But I mean there’s no way we would’ve won the game if it weren’t for our defence and our midfield, even Cole, our goalie was amazing, we held onto it and we didn’t let them score for 80 min.” 

Senior Elyes Ellouz score first and only goal in the Regional game against Shawnee Mission West.

The boys had some losses along the way, but are now close to winning it all. Boys Varsity soccer has previously won the title of being state champions of 2019 and are on the road once again. 

“I feel really proud and confident, we started the year off really well and we went through a tough stretch of games, started losing, but we got everyone back from injuries,” Ellouz said. “Now we’re in the playoffs and we’re doing well.” 

Coach Trumpp and Weber both have been coaching and making sure the boys are playing their best and practicing everyday throughout the week so that they are prepared for the final games of the season. 

Senior Evan Shelky says he and the rest of the team are ready for the Semi-Finals on Nov. 5.

“I think they have a good coaching style because it forces us to play good soccer and not just kick it up, trying to get it close to their goal,” senior Evan Shelkey said. “They talked to us throughout the season about learning lessons from losses and we have.”

According to Shelkey, the boys are going to win against Wichita north 2-0, a goal from Ellouz and a goal from him. Ellouz shares his predictions on how the team is going to play this afternoon.

“I don’t like to jinx things but I’m confident, we’re not taking them lighty [wichita north], but I’m glad it’s going to be at CBAC,” Ellouz said. “We’re going to have a lot of fans and I think teams should be scared because we knocked off some good teams.”