Newspaper and Yearbook Now Accepting Applications

The application to be a part of the 2022-23 Newspaper/Yearbook staff are now available.

Riley Cornell, Writer

Yearbook and Newspaper staff applications are now available for the 2022-2023 school year. 

Being a part of newspaper involves writing different articles of your choosing. Every month each student gets assigned a different type of article such as news, opinion, feature, sports, or entertainment and from there students get to pick the topic of their articles. In addition to stories, each person on staff makes a social media post every month about any topic. It can be anything from different clubs at West to reviewing local restaurants. 

In newspaper, you also get to take photographs at various events. Every month you must go to at least one event around West and take photos, which can be a great way to experience new events. There is lots of freedom to make stories specific to each writer’s interests.

Senior Sydney Brown is the editor-in-chief of the newspaper and loves the people she has been able to meet and the creative freedom staffers receive.

“My favorite part about the newspaper is the freedom that you get to express journalistically,” Brown said. “You get the choice of what kind of work you want to do, whether you want to write, take pictures, or even edit and help people out and that applies to yearbook and newspaper. You also get to meet a lot of new people, especially with the same interests as you, which is super fun.”

In yearbook, there are lots of positions available such as editor, business manager, staff writer, designer, photographer, videographer, point person, or social media manager. Yearbook is a year-long class and takes place during seventh hour. In addition to in-class work, yearbook has work nights. In yearbook, there are lots of opportunities to talk to new people and learn their stories through running interviews.

Junior Andie Rau is a yearbook “team lead” and thinks the yearbook could be a great fit for any student and has loved all the people she has worked with.

“I like getting to work with a whole bunch of different people on staff and getting to help them design our spreads and make the content the best we can,” Rau said. “I would definitely recommend yearbook to anybody because it really becomes like a family environment and it is really cool to see the yearbook before it gets printed and see all you have contributed to it.”