Sisters on the Court

Sisters Hannah and Lexi Cooley have the opportunity this year to spend their Olathe West basketball season together.
Evan Mcdowell

This girls varsity basketball season, two sisters, senior Hannah Cooley and sophomore Lexi Cooley, are playing together for the last time. Hannah is the starting point guard on varsity, and Lexi is a point guard and shooting guard on varsity. 

Last season when Hannah started on varsity, her sister Lexi had some varsity minutes but was mainly on JV. Lexi also had played with her sister outside of school basketball and subbed in for Hannah’s club team.

Even though they just started the season, they make the most out of every game. 

“It’s kind of sad because it’s the last time, but it’s really fun and I like to play with her,” Hannah said. 

With it being Hannah’s last season, it means a lot to her that she gets to spend it with her sister. Hannah shared how making it to state would be such a cool moment to share with Lexi.

“I think we’re going to make it to state, that is the goal,” Hannah said. 

Lexi also agreed with Hannah on making it to state. She mentioned how this team works very well together. 

“I’m hoping to make it to state with this team, we all have really good chemistry and I think we are very capable of doing anything we put our minds to,” Lexi said.

Along with working well as a team, Lexi mentions how good of a teammate Hannah is to her. 

“I love playing with her,” Lexi said. “She’s a great leader and this year is really special because it’s probably going to be the last year I get to play with her. I do play really well with her, she makes me feel confident and is always there for me on the court if I’m struggling and always calms me down.”

Having a good season is the goal, and Lexi believes that can make it even farther than they did last year. “I feel really good about this season like I said we all have really good chemistry and just make each other better every practice,” Lexi said.

So far, girls varsity are number one in the state, as they have been very successful from the start.