The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Baseball is First in State
Prom Pep Assembly: Photo Slideshow
Tech Students Set to Advance to Nationals

April 23, 2024

TSA, a national organization that allows students to...

How are you preparing for finals?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Volleyball Team Prepares for the Season

Brodi Gary
Sophomore Kaiya Finazzo, and freshmen Kylie Webb play their Third JV game of the season.

The girls volleyball team has begun with a strong start to the season.  The girls have been working as a team all summer long doing workouts and practices early each morning. 

It has not been easy, but together they are ready to conquer another season. 

Junior Emma Sales said there’s not really any changes from last year to this year. 

“There isn’t much of a difference from last year besides losing the seniors,” Sales said. “We’re still connecting as a team which can take time but we’ll be much better when we do start clicking,”

Team connection on the court makes a big difference in the game and how the players play and participate in the game.

The JV girls have had a great start to the season with three wins and zero losses.

These wins came from hard work and dedication, But with dedication comes challenges Mentally and physically. 

Kaiya Finnazzo, who has been playing for 11 years, says there’ve been many challenges yet she still plays through them. 

“My biggest challenge mentally being able to stay 100% engaged six days a week at practice to reach goals,” Finazzo said. “My biggest physical challenge is keeping my body healthy all through the season,” 

Yet, with these hard challenges these players keep showing up every day. 

The good things about being on the team outweigh the challenges of being on the team.  

Sales says many things about why she likes to play at West. 

“My favorite thing about playing for the West are my teammates,” Sales said. “It’s fun to have people that you spend time with in the summer and then have classes with in the school year.”