The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Basketball Tryouts Begin This Week

Kaitlyn Pyle
February 2023 Emma sales plays varsity against Olathe east High school.

Boys and girls basketball tryouts start Monday, Nov. 13. Many student athletes have been using the previous weeks, months and years to get ready to start the season. 

Junior Emma Sales and sophomore Cade Zimmerman prepare to start the new season.  

Zimmerman has been playing ever since he was little. He played for the C team and JV team last year as freshmen. 

Zimmerman’s motivation for starting the new basketball season is all of his teammates. 

“Having fun with my friends and I really enjoy basketball,” Zimmerman said. “I’ve played ever since I was little, and it also really helps me get ready for football.” 

As basketball season is approaching, Zimmerman prepares for tryouts, doing various things to get into shape and ready for the season.

“I like to try to get into the gym, and the weight room,” Zimmerman said. “I also like to get some shots up on the gun and play around with my friends before school.” 

Zimmerman explains that basketball has always been an important factor in his life.   

“It’s always been a big part of my life growing up and a lot of people in my life played it and still play so I naturally enjoy playing,” Zimmerman said.

Not only is it boys basketball tryouts, but it’s also girls tryouts this week as well. Just like Zimmerman, junior Emma Sales gets prepared for tryouts. 

Last year, Sales played varsity as a sophomore. As this season is approaching fast, Sales gets herself prepared for the new year. 

“I stay active in the summer especially with relationships with your teammates and I think that’s a big part it’s not all about conditioning. I also don’t take too many days off,” Sales said.

Sales is looking forward to starting the season and all the different things she gets to do with her team.

“Traveling to Hays, that’s always really fun and just the overall energy we’re going to bring,” Sales said.  

Basketball season is one of the longer seasons with all the different breaks and tournaments they have, so Sales looks at different ways to make her stay motivated. 

“Winning motivates me but also being with my teammates motivates me. I love them,” Sales said.

Since Sales has played basketball for a long time, the sport is important for her.

“It’s always been my outlet,” Sales said. “Like if I have a bad day, I just go play basketball. It’s like I have my friends and my family around me.”