The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Tech Students Set to Advance to Nationals
CBR Students Take Second Place at Job Olympics
Swimming to Success

Swimming to Success

April 22, 2024

Senior swimmer Lydia Fink has had numerous accomplishments...

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

A Preview of Winter Sports

Malia Sheppard
Sophomore Connor Tracy during the wrestling meet against Basehor-Linwood on November 29.

Girls Basketball

Sophomore Lexi Cooley played both JV and varsity basketball last year, and said that the season went really well for her. This year, her goals are for the team to get to state and work really hard, as well as to be there for her teammates. Cooley most looks forward to getting to play this season, especially during their game in Hays, as well as hopefully making it to state and getting to play there. “It’s what I like to do all the time, I put so much effort into it,” Cooley said. 

Lexi Cooley (Avery Mathieu)

Boys Basketball

Senior Jackson Collins is proud of what the basketball team accomplished last year. “People didn’t really believe in us and we won the Sunflower League so that felt really good,” Collins said. His biggest accomplishment was getting third team all sunflower league last year as a junior. Collins is looking to focus on the team, win as many games as they can and get back to state. He is also looking forward to getting the opportunity to hang out with his teammates while having fun playing basketball. 

Jackson Collins (Avery Mathieu)

Boys Swim

Last year had a lot of improvements for senior Michael Maffitt, but he says this year is going to be his best year yet. “I’m looking forward to building relationships with new people on the team that I haven’t met yet,” Maffitt said. Maffitt says that he hopes to get his 50 free time down to the 24 second range. He also hopes that the team can qualify their 200 free relay. His favorite part of swimming is the hard work required to succeed.

Michael Maffitt (Avery Mathieu)

Boys Dive

This season senior Carter Baum is looking to improve his performance during dive and work to get better than last year. He hopes that his team can all place at state this year and get to go to Topeka to compete. He is most looking forward to getting to have their senior night and the last dive meet. His favorite thing about getting to be a part of dive is the people. “They’re super chill, funny and just outgoing,” Baum said.

Carter Baum (Avery Mathieu)

Girls Wrestling

Sophomore Peyton Smith said that she enjoyed last year’s wrestling season because “I made a lot of friends and my coaches were really awesome and understanding.” She says that the team is like a family and that they all get along well. Smith’s goal for herself this season is to work on improving herself. “Getting better skills, getting my skills up, better understanding of wrestling and working really hard,” Smith said. 

Peyton Smith (Avery Mathieu)

Boys Wrestling

Senior Jackson Bell says that his goals for this year are to place third at state and for everyone on the team to make it to state. This year, Bell looks forward to being able to wrestle and hang out with his friends that are seniors during their last year of high school. His favorite part of the sport is “How competitive it is because there’s not a lot of other sports that are that competitive.”

Jackson Bell (Avery Mathieu)

Bowling

Last year’s season for bowling went really well, shares junior Hadley Giannola. This year her hopes are to come together and improve as a team. “We can improve and be better than last year, even though we were pretty good last year,” Giannola said. Giannola says that her favorite part of bowling is just getting to have fun. She looks forward most to seeing her teammates that she hasn’t been able to see since last school year’s season. 

Jackson Bell (Avery Mathieu)
Hadley Giannola (Avery Mathieu)