The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Tech Students Set to Advance to Nationals
CBR Students Take Second Place at Job Olympics
Swimming to Success

Swimming to Success

April 22, 2024

Senior swimmer Lydia Fink has had numerous accomplishments...

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

JV Girls Basketball 2024 Season Comes to an End

Macy Carbajo
Sophomores Avery Cogdil and Kaiya Finazzio receive the Owl’s warrior belt award for who played best that night.

The JV girl’s basketball team had a 15-1 season, one of the best JV seasons in the district.

Basketball season is one of the longest sports seasons, lasting almost four months. All the girls pushed through and kept their endurance up during the season. Sophomore Kaiya Finazzo explains how she kept her endurance up all season.  

“Conditioning during practice and going hard in every drill is a good way to keep my endurance up,” Finazzo said.  

Through this long season, Finazzo said she accomplished a lot, but her biggest accomplishment was only having one loss. 

“My biggest accomplishment was only losing one game all season,” Finazzo said. “We had to work really hard at practice and going against varsity isn’t easy every single day, and making sure you take every game seriously.”

Overall, Finazzo said her experience on the team was a good experience with her being close to the team.  

“I had a lot of fun,” Finazzo said. “It was fun being with the team since we were all so close.”

Sophomore Sydney Hull was a starter for JV during the entire season. She felt they had a good season, and as it came to the end she was having mixed feelings about it.  

“It was amazing, really fun,” Hull said. “JV only lost one game, [it was] so pretty good season. I’m excited and sad, I was sad that it’ll be over but happy we get a break for a little bit.”

During the season, Hull’s favorite thing was getting to experience the season with her teammates as they were all close with each other.  

“Definitely hanging out with the team,” Hull said. “We are all very close this year and it was just really fun.”  

Senior Katie Sauter, who is the JV and varsity manager, talks about how she enjoyed her time on the team. Her favorite thing was being on the bench with the team.  

“Honestly being on the bench cheering for others because the JV games I’m with the other manager and we can both help cheer together,” Sauter said.  “But even when I’m on the bench alone cheering, it was really fun, and I’ve never really been in that environment before. I played at a lower level for fun before that so it’s just really fun being part of the team.” 

In Sauter’s eyes, JV’s biggest accomplishment was losing only one game during the season. 

“I think it was learning how to lose because a lot of them haven’t lost since they were [in] seventh grade or in middle school,” Sauter said. “So when they took that loss and came back and won the rest of they’re season, I think that really taught them that losing can help them strive more towards their goals.”