The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Academic Stress: Your Future vs Your Present
The Heartbreaking True Story: “Baby Reindeer”
Photo Slideshow: StuCo Dodgeball

Photo Slideshow: StuCo Dodgeball

May 14, 2024

This poll has ended.

How are you preparing for finals?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Baseball is First in State

Brodi Gary
Junior Ty Miller pitching during the varsity game against Shawnee Mission-East on April 4.

The baseball team is a couple months into the season and is currently ranked number one in the state and the Sunflower District with a record of 20-1.

Senior Jarren Hay described why he thinks the team has been doing so well this season.

“I think a lot of us returning players already know what to expect, but also having a new coach we’re a lot more relaxed you know, we’re a lot more ready,” Hay said.

Junior Micah McGavran shared how it has felt to have such a long winning streak.

“It feels good, winning is a great feeling and all of our work’s paid off, so it feels good,” McGavran said.

This year the team welcomed a new coach, Austin Fisher. After the Saturday, April 20 game,  Principal Jay Novacek announced Fisher would take over as head coach next year.Senior Maddux Leiker shared his experience with having a new coach this year.

“It hasn’t been that hard,” Leiker said. “He’s young he’s kind of like one of the players. It’s kind of hard with the old coaches leaving though, but it’s fun.”

Hay shared that both their head and assistant coaches this year played professionally, so the team has been learning a lot from them.

McGavran and Leiker stated that everyone on the team is friends which helps them stay strong and function well.

“We’re all really good friends so that helps a lot and there’s really no drama, it’s just baseball,” Leiker said.

With their season still progressing McGavran shared his hopes for the team for the rest of the season.

“Hopefully win state and keep on winning,” McGavran said. “And the goal is to get to the state championship.”