The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Tech Students Set to Advance to Nationals
CBR Students Take Second Place at Job Olympics
Swimming to Success

Swimming to Success

April 22, 2024

Senior swimmer Lydia Fink has had numerous accomplishments...

This poll has ended.

What are your plans for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Students Inducted into World Language Honor Societies

Noah Falcon
Students taking their oath during the world language honor society induction.
From left Brooklyn Zimmerman, Maria Bustamante , Isys Haynes and Miranda Elgin after being inducted (Noah Falcon)

On Thursday, March 25, the world languages department had the first annual induction into its honor societies.

Last year German teacher Courtney Frets created an honor society, Delta Epsilon Phi, for students in the German class at Olathe West. 

This year, French teachers Alana Duncan and Will Schowalter, along with Spanish teacher Karen Detrixhe, created honor societies for French and Spanish students.

French II, IV and V teacher, Will Schowalter said that there are certain requirements students complete to be eligible for induction into the honor society depending on which world language they are in.

The requirements for the French Honors Society include being in a French class every year students are in the society, having at least three consecutive A’s in French, having the willingness to complete community service and being approved by both French teachers.

Senior Brooklynn Zimmerman shared what the honor society means to her.

“It’s basically just kind of a chance to show off your skills because I’ve been taking languages for four years now and it’s been kind of hard to get any recognition,” Zimmerman said.

Zimmerman also said that the society is an opportunity for her to talk to other people about French. She gets to connect with students in level three French, while she is in the fourth and fifth level class.

At the induction, advisors took turns delivering a speech introducing the society and explaining its honor, then students stood to take their oath in the language they are in. Students received a graduation cord and a certificate, then got to enjoy cookies and lemonade with their families.

The society has been holding meetings during AI for the students to plan events within the society. 

Zimmerman shared that at the last meeting they held they got stickers, decided on cords, and discussed potential community service projects.

Schowalter explained the hopes for the French honor society and why they created it.

“It’s all about building our program, having our members integrate with the community and do stuff for the community and just continue their journey of language and culture immersion,” Schowalter said.

The group has been planning community service and a bake sale to raise money for a scholarship for language learners.

“We have a bunch of stuff coming up, volunteer stuff, like how NHS [National Honor Society] has a bunch of volunteer stuff, we’re going to start doing it for languages. We’re having a bake sale for the French one and stuff like that,” Zimmerman said.