The Student News Site of Olathe West High School

Owl Post

Owl Post

Owl Post

Baseball is First in State
Prom Pep Assembly: Photo Slideshow
Tech Students Set to Advance to Nationals

April 23, 2024

TSA, a national organization that allows students to...

How are you preparing for finals?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

CBR Students Take Second Place at Job Olympics

Macy Carbajo
CBR students pose with their medals after the Job Olympics competition.

The IPS crew traveled to Johnson County Community College to compete in the Job Olympics on March 28 and placed second in this competition, along with many individuals receiving medals. This competition focuses on the employability skills of students in special education.

CBR teacher Macy Carbajo shared the benefits of participating in the competition.

This was an awesome opportunity for our students to experience,” Carbajo said. “The students competing got to practice vocational skills and compete against students from different schools.” 

Their peers, who are other students who work with the IPS students, worked with them to practice for the Job Olympics.

“Their peers in IPS class helped them practice and prepare for different events,” Carbajo said. “The peers went to support and cheer their friends on as they competed.”

As much as this benefited the IPS students, their peers also joined in on this learning experience. Junior Alyssa Lee shares her point of view on the competition and how it benefited her as a peer.

“I really got to learn what our kids’ strengths are and what they need to work on to prepare themselves for life outside of high school,” Lee said. 

Together the peers, teachers and students prepared for the Job Olympics and were successful. Carbajo mentioned how this was a great opportunity for everyone to experience.  

“All the students got to interact with other students from different schools and make new friends,” Carbajo said. “It was an awesome experience for everyone involved.” 

Medalist: Leeah Cox, Niyah Benjamin, Angel Medrano, Marissa Solum, Ella Palangi, Topanga Wayman, Ariel Wayman